Dec 12, 2011

The Forgotton Songs Of Indipop

I have this habit of updating my Facebook status everyday in the morning as I leave my home, with whatever song that my phone decides to play. The song that plays first becomes the song of the day on my status. The other day it was one of my all-time fav's Maeri by Euphoria. Ah, the memories. :)

When I reached office, me and two of my closest friends got into a discussion over Skype (our communicator at work.. yea I know, how cool! :P), over how Indipop is... dead. How we don't have albums anymore. How we spent all our growing up years listening to our favorites on Channel Oxygen or ITV. We spent the whole day passing each other links for videos that were all the rage in the good ol' days. We laughed about what kids these days listened to and TRULY felt old. Here is the list of songs that brought back some fond fond memories...

Kaise Bhoolegi Mera Naam - Euphoria

Aankhon Mein Tera Hi Chehra - Aryans (...a WTF Shahid in that one! :P)

Gori Naal Ishq Meetha - Bali Sagoo
OMG. Those steps. EVERY wedding had that step!!! And it took me a minute to recognize that the female is Malaika Arora Khan. :P

O Sanam - Lucky Ali

Chui Mui Si Tum Lagti Ho - *no idea by whom!* :D
 We spend a good 5 minutes laughing about those tiny teddy bears that became all the rage after this song came out! :D

Purani Jeans - Ali Haider
Pahunchna college hamesha late
Woh kehna sir ka 
"Get out from the class!"
Woh bahar jaake hamsha kehna
Yahan ka system 
Hi hai kharaab.. :) 

Ab Ke Baras - Sunita Rao

Piya Basanti

Tanha Dil - Shaan
Technically this was the first song I sang in front of an audience. :)

Kaachi Kali - Anaida
.. And this was technically my first dance! :P 
"Main hu Jodhpur ki Jugni..." did it for my sisters sangeet! :)

Pari Hoon Main - Sunita Rao

Dooba Dooba - Silk Route

Are we the only one who think that they just don't make them like this anymore? So lucky to have grown up in the 90's! :) 

~ Annie.
P.S: Special mention to Tum by Euphoria. Someone special dedicated that one for me... while I giggled like an idiot... Hahaha. Fond memories! :)
________________________________________________________
Now Playing: Tum | Euphoria

18 comments:

Pesto Sauce said...

Remember Johnny Joker?? It was first of the lot way back in 1993

These old videos used to be well shot. Malaika in gori naal... and Preeti in Chui mui... looked smashing and cute

IceMaiden said...

@Pesto,
AGREED! I read a comment on Gori Naal.. video which said 'I like this munni who is not badnaam' :D

Tangled up in blue... said...

Wow! You've really taken me on a trip down memory lane man! I remember coming back from school at 6 and watching these pop videos on Sony from 7 to 8 before starting homework. How lovely is Piya Basanti man! Nauheed Cyrusi looks so pretty in it!

And Shahid Kapoor and that lil puppy in Aankhon Mein..it's like the years went by so fast!

I have some honorable mentions of my own..remember Pankaj Udhaas's Aur Aahista Kijiye Baatein..it had Sameera Reddy and that cutiepie gora guy in Australia. Then there was Chaandni Raatein and Sukhwinder Singh's Nashi hi nasha and of course, my absolute favourite was K.K.'s Pyaar Ke Pal. Did you know it was Abhay Deol in that video? You'd never recognise him as the same guy!

Love this post!

bliss said...

hey i remember all these songs! i was in love with them!! there was also one- i dont remember the singer or the song. but it was about a bad ass girl who in the end changes into this nice homely girl, wears a white chudidar (which i came to think of as the only thing grown up girls were supposed to wear). i know its vague but any idea what song that was?
thanks a tonne, annie. it was such a lovely reminder. no doubt there is nothing like that anymore *sigh*
oh btw, the song is 'gud(jaggery) nalo ishq mitha' :D

Anonymous said...

I was doing this just two weeks ago with my sister on skype hahaha! Sending each other these great old indian pop songs we grew up listening to. I love every single song you mentioned - do you remember Rageshwari and Falguni Pathak too?!

Unknown said...

Thank you for leaving such a long and personal comment on my blog. I really appreciate it. I emailed you the entire scenario on your gmail id because I feel you deserve to know. :)Have a nice day. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for leaving such a long and personal comment on my blog. I really appreciate it. I emailed you the entire scenario on your gmail id because I feel you deserve to know. :)Have a nice day. :)

Harini said...

I listen and love these songs even today. How can you forget 'O Meri Munni'?

Sh@s said...

Hit by nostalgia.

IceMaiden said...

@TUIB,
I KNOWWW!!!! I did that tooo!!! And agree to Piya Basanti! I love how she looks so simple and yet so pretty! The lil' puppy in Aankhon Mein.. was the first time I liked a dog! :D

I DO remember Aahista Kijiye Baatein - it is still one of the songs that don't leave my cell :) So is Chaandni Raatein, Pyar Ke Pal. I did not know it was Abhay Deol!!! Ok I am going to go back and check it out again :)

@Smita,
Why do I get the feeling I remember something like this... but I can't remember the song. I think I remember something about the white churidar!

The YT video link said Gori Naal.. and I always sang it that way :P Ok I have been doing it wrong all this while! :P

@Eirene,
Hehehe! :) I do remember Falguni and Raageshwari - Duniya.. Riya Sen in the yaad piya ki aane lagi :P And that cute song - Maine payal hai chankayi... :) Trying to dance to those songs when I was little.. such fond memories!! :) :)

@Khadeeja,
Have replied. :) Hugs.

@Harini,
I remember this one too! :) :) And dude! You have been MIA for an entire YEAR?!?! :|

@Sh@s,
Thanks for dropping by! :)

phatichar said...

I'm with you here..

:) 'bookmarking' you - and I know for sure, you know the meaning of that.

buckingfastard said...

haha...i remember coming to your blog first time on some story about "maeeri"...gosh of an era wen lyrics dint need to have double meaning to make sense....
how about "dhaani" by strings :)

Dhanya said...

I miss such songs terribly ! Nowadays all you get to hear are raunchy songs like "chikni chameli" and God knows what else are going to follow... Nice post Annie !

MianTariq said...

Nice collection for entertainment.
Thanks for sharing.

Malavika said...

Hey Neetz!

I'm the Red House Captain from school remember me?? :) Anyways!! How bout our memoirs of English songs?? That wud be another interesting one!! Ogling at BSB and getting caught with the M and B :):)

Miss u!!
Mals!

Cyniqueen said...

Sitting in a small student hostel room in Berlin, Germany, your awesome post jerked me back to India, to home, to the 90s and made the icy winter here just a little bit warmer.
Excellent post!

Kshipra said...

Lovely blog...
I just went through your 7-8 posts.....
Lovel- ur wedding thing!
And you just won my heart with the awesome music you did put at the end of every other post..this one nailed it....was planning my own similar post....I will too...
oh aaand following you!!

Unknown said...

Jus trying to remember this song where a college girl is trying to find a guy who secretly keeps giving her gifts and finally comes to know when he keeps a small teddy bear on her vehicle. The song was sung by a female

Post a Comment