Mar 24, 2008

My dream came true on the basketball court.

It was a windy October day. Woke up in the morning with the mother of all headaches. Oh sweet mamma… * that’s why someone very wise has said don’t try to wash down your heartaches with vodka* but, hey, …it was still a nice breezy morning that also happened to be a public holiday. And its also one that I will remember all my life.

There’s something about trains that’s very comforting when your numb from the inside. That noise. It kind of seeps in, you know. After all these days, I may not remember what I was feeling at that time, but I can still distinctly remember the melody of the wheels on the tracks. Atleast till I reach the wrought-iron gates of college.

It is so silent, I can hear the rhythm of my own heart beat. Not a soul in sight. The deserted corridors are silent and the tap of my shoes echoes in the hallway. I make my way to the basketball court.. and that’s where he is waiting. For me. With the basketball that changed our fates a month ago.

There’s another person there as well. One more person with betrayal in his eyes, eyes that I don’t have the strength to meet. He comes and says "goodbye" and leaves. Out of the court and out of my life. It’s just the two of us now.

It had rained the night before. The small puddles of water reflect the sky that has turned grey now. He comes towards me now, slowly… dribbling the basketball…the voice echoes loudly making my heart beat a little quicker. The quad has never felt so huge before. Funny, how I never noticed how beautiful that tree beside the student store was. I can still hear the rustling of those leaves, the only voice in the silence.

And suddenly he was right before me. The dribbling stopped. He tilted my face up with his finger, looked at me with eyes that unique shade of brown and whispered "I love you". I can’t find my voice because I can feel myself floating away. Headier than I had been last night with that vodka… he comes closer…and…

It starts to rain. Just the way I like it. Just the way dreams come true.


P.S: This is entirely true account of how I met my college sweetheart. He was the basketball captain, and I fell in love with him the first time I saw him sail a perfect three pointer from his trademark zero degree. :)

3 comments:

DeJaVu said...

ok i think i'm reading this a bit too late.....but its d best post i've read that comes close to a real heart-stopping novel type! good work gal! u've got some talent :)

Miss Sunshine said...

and then u kissed, rite?

Raj said...

sometimes you never realize the difference between fiction and reality.

Post a Comment