Apr 14, 2014

Kindness

Such a rare value these days, somedays I feel. 

I could not post on schedule last Saturday, because I was superbly hungover when I woke up and then spent the whole day trying to be, what I wanted to write about that day. Let me explain. 

On Friday morning, I received a call at 7 AM from a guy about 3 abandoned kittens, barely half a week old. I was barely awake, and honestly I have no place to put them, so I promised I will post for him & get back by afternoon. I did post for them at that ungodly hour, and surprise surprise, I received a lot of calls. When I get a call for infant kittens, the first thing I do is look for a nursing mother. Usually mother cats take on abandoned kittens, and nothing beats moms milk. If I don't then, we need to step in and become moms. It is a really really exhausting, hard and an amazingly wonderful place to be in. I nursed my last three babies and Mouse was one of them (quite obviously mom's favorite). :)

 

Anyway, so thankfully, beautiful people of Mumbai swung into action and by late afternoon I had 3 calls from people who had nursing mothers. I remembered one more person who had called me a week ago requesting help for something else, who had mentioned in passing that her cat was supposed to deliver. I decided to try my luck with her cat. On Saturday, we drove over with our little babies, and within the first ten minutes, mommy cat hugged and kissed and licked our new babies. PHEW!! :) Such a relief. We all sat there for a while just stroking Cleopatra (mommy) and cooing over how tiny & beautiful the babies were (who technically are deaf and blind and scrawny at this point... :P)


Kindness gives us so many happy endings, doesn't it? I love meeting people who are nice, polite, compassionate and go out of their way if someone in trouble really needs their help. I like kind people. I meet my fair share of jerks working the job I do, but it also puts me in touch with people who are so beautifully compassionate & kind, it fills my heart up. :) 

Annie.
P.S.: I work with an animal welfare NGO. I head corporate relations, strategy & kitten adoptions... just incase you are wondering. Animal help in Mumbai? Get in touch with me anita@worldforall.co :) 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now Playing: Kahaan Hoon Main | Highway 

9 comments:

Red Handed said...

Is it just me, or is the font colour too light to be read

IceMaiden said...

@Red Handed,

Your net connection is probably slower? There is a black background image to the entire blog which loads a little slowly sometimes. :)

M.C.V. EGAN said...

OH my goodness those kittens are so small and adorable! I am a little confused as the story did not explain the hangover.. or did I miss something? #a2zchallenge ☮Peace ☮ ღ ONE ℒℴνℯ ღ ☼ Light ☼ visiting from http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/

Red Handed said...

Oh now i can read it. Ya maybe problem with my net!

That was a lovely post and u honey are working for a great cause!!!

Ire said...

Tiny cuties! You are doing great work... someday when I don't have money perils, I want to work for our furry friends too!

Sylvia Ney said...

Cuties! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

It's wonderful that you do this. Thank you for sharing your story!
I'm visiting from the A to Z challenge list. One of my team's blogs is KHEL 666 Radio Netherworld.

Ire said...

You are a good soul :)

Rajlakshmi said...

And you got a good heart too ... You are doing a wonderful job. The kittens look so cute. You just agained yourself a new follower

Post a Comment